Tuesday 9 January 2018

Glossy Young Guard

I’ve been making a fair bit of progress with the Young Guard Voltigeurs although this has slowed somewhat in the last few days. I’m optimistically hoping to have the whole unit finished by the end of the month (or by mid-Feb at latest).

I finally took the plunge and bought some Winsor & Newton Artisan Gloss Varnish as recommended by Wellington Man and Ilkley Old School. Those of you who have followed this blog for a while will know about my various varnish problems. Originally I was using Humbrol Satincote but as the quality of this product decreased I have been travelling more and more towards full gloss. I thought that if any troops deserved to be 'proper shiny' it should be the Guard.

The figures pictured are FN/77 Voltigeur Guard (running at the trail). These 5 plus 1 officer will make up one of my 6 figure companies, the others will be comprised mostly of FN/75 Voltigeur Guard (charging). The running at trail figures here are all vintage castings but 4 of them had miscast musket butts which had to be extended by using some extra muskets I had lying around. It was a bit of a fiddle and I’m hoping the ends won’t drop off in action.

11 comments:

The Good Soldier Svjek said...

rather like this different pose .

Stryker said...

It's one of my favourite Hinton Hunt poses, if I'd had enough figures I would have liked to do the whole unit with this one.

the Archduke said...

This pose intrigues me. I know you have quoted verbatim from HH's catalogue in describing it, but if you look at the guy's left hand, it seems to me that he is taking another cartridge from his pouch. I regard him as reloading rather than running. Good luck with the musket repairs. I have had to do a number of such. I reckon new butts are less vulnerable than new bayonets. Fingers crossed, as you say.

Stryker said...

His left arm is actually flapping about in the breeze and not by his cartridge pouch (which is on the right), can't see this from the camera angle. I'd say he definitely is meant to be running - hopefully towards the enemy!

Wellington Man said...

Very nice indeed, Ian. I like that pose too - it's so idiosyncratic and uniquely Marcus Hinton.

What's your verdict on the varnish?

Stryker said...

I'd say it's better (that would be shinier) than Humbrol Clear but not as much as I thought it would be. The real advantage is you get a high gloss with two coats rather than three. I need to see the completed unit before passing final judgement.

lewisgunner said...

Cher Archiduc.
Voyez-vous : http://www.militaryheritage.com/loading1777frenchmusket.htm
The drill for loading the Charleville has the soldier using his right hand to open the cartridge box. The figure is running at the trail , his left hand merely 'flapping' as Stryker says. His feet are also poitioned oddly for liading , but fine for running.

Neat figure, I like it, but the butt and the end of the musket seem to have often become bent around the figure and are vulnerable if the metal is a bit weak.

Mark Dudley said...

I find the 2nd coat gives a nice gloss finish.

Are you also glossing the figure bases ? I find that good old humbrol 80 with a gloss finish looks rather nice.

the Archduke said...

Zut alors, Stryker and LG, I have been looking at the wrong hand. That will teach me to speculate idly without checking my sources. Thanks, both.

Stryker said...

Roy - the way the figure has been moulded means the musket is wrapped around the body and has to be gently prised away. It's not possible to get it completely straight.

Mark - I'm not varnishing the bases as the rest of my collection have matt bases and it would be very fiddly to go back and do them all!

Nigel - ah, that's French drill for you!

Unknown said...

Mark I to gloss the figures and use Mat on the bases. I do not know why but have been doing it that way 40 plus years and am not about to change now haha