Tuesday 19 September 2017

10th legere – updated

The 10th legere have now been expanded into a full 24-figure unit and quite splendid they look in their ‘Noddy’ style uniforms even if I do say so myself. They have also been rebased to my revised light infantry system so they can operate either as skirmishers or as a close order battalion.

The 10th legere deployed in column. The front rank are
shooting to the left because that's the only way I could
get the bases to line up in close order.
The 'Enid Blyton's' prepare to attack. Well I think the
resemblance to Noddy is quite striking but you may not agree.
An impressive and colourful firing line.
The battalion deploying into skirmish order.

I embarked on my light infantry upgrade programme because Roy and I had abandoned the use of skirmishers in our large scale battles and I wasn’t getting to use these units. Ironically, in the recent Battle for the Road the skirmishers proved effective and seemed to add quite a lot of fun to the game. Well, at least now these lads are guaranteed some table time whatever the scenario.

Noddy on his way to barracks.

16 comments:

Fire at Will said...

A lovely colourful unit

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

They're stunning!

Best Regards,

Stokes

Rob said...

I think they're striking, I don't see the likeness and even then I don't think there's anything wrong with Noddy - some of the first books I remember reading.
I found the 'not a robot' test really hard - I was guessing what was / was not a bridge...

Ross Mac rmacfa@gmail.com said...




ok, after seeing this "Noddy" fellow mentioned various times over the years L had to look him up. (I used to get an imported hardcover "Rupert" annual but that was it) I don't see the resemblence either except that they are both colourful.

That said, I've always loved the fancier French legere uniforms and this unit is a dazzling example of the best sort of wargame figure.

I fear for their dice.

Mark Dudley said...

I am also going to base my light units so they can play a dual role. I just need to get some painted first.

I also find that you have to do a bit of wangling to get the figures to fit without stabbing each other in the back.

A lovely unit which deserves more game time.

Conrad Kinch said...

Magnificent stuff - they are a delight. I would be nervous about breaking those plumes.

Stryker said...

Clearly it's just me with the Noddy thing (but then I did once own a Noddy hat and pedal car).

Thanks for the comments!

Wellington Man said...

Great to see them at full strength at last, Ian. One of your loveliest regiments.

Stryker said...

Thanks Matt, they are one of my favourites!

'Lee. said...

" Noddy, the little Boy with the Red and Yellow car" ..... My Girls used to love theme song! magnificent unit notwithstanding the Noddy reference, most impressive uniforms.

Independentwargamesgroup said...

A very famous regiment which looks very grand. Well done.

lewisgunner said...

Noddy appears to be wearing a French Old Guard bonnet de police. Big Ears, I recall, looks more like a Sabs Culottes?
R

caveadsum1471 said...

Can't see the Noddy bit myself but they're a lovely looking unit!
Best Iain

Anonymous said...

Lovely looking unit, it is time for a grand review of the French?

Paul

MSFoy said...

Lovely - really terrific, but shouldn't the collars be red...?

Stryker said...

Ha Ha!