Thursday 24 November 2016

Back to warm woollen mittens

You may recall that I began the year with a bit of an Austrian theme going but then got diverted into painting Prussian cavalry. With Vintage Leipzig out of the way I thought it would be a good idea to try and complete the Musketeer Regiment No 4 Hoch-Und Deutschmeister and with luck I’ll have them done by Christmas.

I’ve just finished the command group which consists of 2 officers, 1 drummer and a standard bearer. I’ve got a real mix here of vintage, Clayton and DK although I can’t remember which is which as the figures are currently stuck on bottle tops and I can’t check the bases. The flag bearer is of course easily identified as the Clayton one.

I’m not particularly good at painting flags free hand (as is clear from the photo) and in fact when I got out my 51st Gabriel Spleny Regiment for the recent game I felt compelled to re-touch their flag as it was pretty poor (for some reason I’d completely missed out the white). This one is a bit better although a tad on the impressionistic side however from a gaming distance it looks quite alright especially if I take my glasses off.

16 comments:

The Good Soldier Svjek said...

I must admit I always chicken out and print off flags rather than hand paint them , so I'm impressed by yours , Tony

Stryker said...

Tony - I try to use cast-on flags where they exist but paper ones are a whole lot easier!

Ross Mac rmacfa@gmail.com said...

Your eyes must be alot better than mine, even zoomed in the flag looks damn good to me.

Wellington Man said...

Crikey, you can tell they're wearing clean underpants. Absolutely stunning turn out, Ian. The flag (as are all your flags) is a vintage triumph in my view. Don't do yourself down, or you'll have the Archduke complaining!

WM

Stryker said...

Gentlemen you are too kind!

the Archduke said...

Wellington Man has said it for me. I shall shoot the first man I see bemoaning his own handiwork. Also, I'm uneasy with this new trend of people having the guts to paint their own flags. It could lead me to try and...zen I shall haff to shoot myself..Teufel.......

Stryker said...

Archduke - I have just examined a flag painted by your own hand and can confirm there is no need to shoot yourself (although the real Archduke may have you shot as a traitor!).

lewisgunner said...

Hoch and Deutschmeister were supposed to be the nearest thing to a guard regiment in the Austrian army. Maybe the Archduke could confirm or deny this?

Matt said...

Hats off to the flag! The last time I ever hand painted a flag was your British Guards which was far easier proposition...I buy printed ones!

Stryker said...

Guard unit eh? I'm liking the sound of this!

Stryker said...

Matt - I now have 2 British units and 1 scots but haven't yet painted one of the flags myself, maybe next time!

Anonymous said...

The Hapsburgs didn't really have guard units (afraid of plots) but did have various ceremonial guard units of a 100 men or so recruited from aristocrats of each nation. The Hofburgwachte Kompagnie was the exception. It came from the regular army and provided sentries for the palace. The infantry mostly came from IR4 Hoch and Deutschmeister but there were only a 100 men.

This all comes from The Austro-Hungarian Army 1792-1815 by W.J.Rawkins available as a pdf for about £5 from his website. I'd recommend this to anyone interested in the Napoleonic Austrians (I'm not related!). It's full of detail with hundreds of contemporary prints.

lewisgunner said...

I think that justifies the Regiment thinking highly of themselves. It would put a little more Hoch in their Deutschmeister!

Anonymous said...

The Austrians are looking good, like the flag

Paul

'Lee. said...

Ian, lovely painting, I really like the freehand flag, especially on these vintage units they add a touch of individuality.

Stryker said...

Thanks Lee. You've painted a fair few cast-on flags yourself now!