Saturday 2 May 2015

Carabinier Trumpeter

One of the very first batches of figures I acquired at the start of this project were some vintage French Carabiniers. The figures were a mixture of the one-piece casting FN/106 and the two-piece version FN/311 (horse FNH/5). One of the castings had been converted by the previous owner into a trumpet player. This had been quite neatly done by removing the carbine and cartridge box and adding a wire trumpet.

Having decided with Roy that we would change the establishment of cavalry regiments to 12 figures (rather than 18) I decided to add to my existing squadron of 6 Carabiniers to bring them up to regimental strength. It was then that I remembered
the trumpeter languishing in the box of spares.

Eight years ago I would have frowned upon the idea of mutilating an original Hinton Hunt figure but I’ve since mellowed and even dabbled in the dark art of conversion myself. I’ve had great fun restoring (bits of the trumpet fell off in the bleach) and painting this figure and finally got some use out of my copy of Osprey’s Napoleon’s Carabiniers.

I’m tempted now to have a go at converting a figure to an eagle bearer having been inspired by Roy’s Cuirassier conversions currently on Lee’s painting table.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Ian, what a super little conversion. Never fear about converting your Hintons as they have most probably languished in someone's attic for the best part of four decades, and by converting and restoring them, you are returning them to their original role and enjoying them for what they are. On my desk at present sits a converted Ponsonby, undercoated and awaiting his first brushstrokes. He was originally unwanted (by his original ownwer) and I decided to put a bit more life into him by making a mini vignette and restoring him to command my Union Brigade.

Stryker said...

Michael - I do get a great deal of satisfaction from restoring and painting my Hintons but the converting aspect is relatively new to me. Have fun with Ponsonby and please do email me a pic of the result!

Conrad Kinch said...

A very neat job there Ian. Well done. I liked the black lining. Never had the patience for it myself.

Wellington Man said...

Ian, you've trumpeter is outstanding!

So far I've only dared to do the odd head-swap or a little filing of an epaulette here and there. I doff my hat to you, which is rare for me as it exposes my baldy head!

Stryker said...

Conrad - thanks for the comment. I always use black undercoat so lining is relatively simple, it's a matter of not painting rather than painting to let the black show through!

Matt - I would imagine that you have more hair than me but the offer to take your hat off is appreciated!

Anonymous said...

A wonderful figure, love the dapple grey horse

Paul

MSFoy said...

We have our eye on you. After all the sanctimonious stuff about conversion of Marcus's jewels, it seems that you are a chopper at heart anyway, and have just been looking for an excuse to come out. Mind you, I think that Roy might have been a bad influence.

I shall not mention it again, but you know what I'm thinking...

Lovely job, by the way - nothing quite so satisfying as producing a true one-off, custom figure, is there?

Markus Schenk said...

Great model, I did not realise that this was a conversion. Super.

the Archduke said...

If Mr Hinton had not intended his figures to be converted, he would have made musicians, colour bearers etc for all his units. This chap is magnificent.

Stryker said...

Archduke - good point!

James Fisher said...

You did a great job of the imperial livery Ian.

The "dark art of conversion" is brilliant isn't it?!

Stryker said...

James - yes it is, although I have to say that this conversion had mostly be carried out by the previous owner of the figure.

Phil said...

This trumpeter is really nice, great job of conversion!

Stryker said...

Cheers Phil!