Wednesday 9 December 2009

RHA Limber updated

This is the revised and very definitely final version of my Royal Horse Artillery limber. Actually I’m quite impressed with it, as somehow I seem to have accumulated a full set with four horses, two limber horse riders and both limber-box riders. I found the left-side limber rider in my lead pile along with an extra horse rider. This was quite a surprise to me and confirms that I really do need to go through and reorganise the way I store my Hinton Hunt stash.

This is the full line up:

1 x AL2 British Limber (vintage HH)
2 x H1 Allied draughthorse, nearside (vintage HH)
2 x H2 Allied draughthorse, offside (vintage HH)
1 x BN26 Gunner riding on limber (right side – vintage HH)
1 x BN27 Gunner riding on limber (left side – vintage HH)
1 x BN28 Driver positioned for riding gun horse (vintage HH)
1 x Driver positioned for riding gun horse (Der Kriegspielers)


I particularly like the two limber-box riders clinging on for dear life. It must have been quite an experience charging into action on one of those things. It’s also interesting to see the comparison between the Hinton Hunt horse rider (nearest the limber) and the Der Kreigspielers one (at the front). The DK model is again a bit thin and weedy but a nice figure all the same.

I think the finished item is far less pony and trap like (forgive my cockney rhyming slang) than it was before, being a more substantial representation of an RHA limber. Captain Mercer has certainly given it his full approval.



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very impressive little group. Makes me want to dig out the old Airfix RHA box I have!

Regards,

Matt

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

Agreed! A lovely piece of collecting and painting.

Best Regards,

Stokes

Rafael Pardo said...

Hi
I agrre with Matt: I own some pieces of the old Airfix set sitting around and your limber has spoiled my interest. It is a pity that british Royal Horse Artillery did not were present in the Leipzig Campaign!
Rafa

Mad Carew said...

Beautiful work and such lovely figures. :)

lewisgunner said...

Yes, Ian your painting style brings out all the charm of these figures.
Keep up the good work.

Roy

Galpy said...

They do look great sadly i've long ago sold off my rather large airfix collection and started down the long road of building 15mm french and British armiesmaybe you might come on over for a visit some time,i think i'll be back to see how things are going here
Cheers kent
http://kentspainting15mm.blogspot.com/