Pages

▼

Sunday, 27 September 2026

Battle of Altenrode

With any luck we'll be having another game of Muskets & Marshals in the Hinton Hut this week. This time the Duke will be sitting things out on the bench while his continental allies have a crack at the Ogre.

I asked ChatGPT to come up with a ficticious scenario and table layout for the game and this is what it produced:


The Battle of Altenrode, October 1813

In the weeks before the great struggle around Leipzig, Napoleon's armies were falling back through Saxony while the Austrian, Russian and Prussian armies advanced from several directions.

In this sector, the French had been ordered to hold the road running through Altenrode, Falkendorf and Grünwalde, delaying the Allied advance towards Leipzig. An Austrian force under Archduke Charles approached from the north-west, while Russian and Prussian troops under Barclay de Tolly advanced from the north-east.

Napoleon recognised the danger of allowing these two Allied forces to unite. He therefore ordered the French to attack aggressively before the Coalition armies could combine their strength. Napoleon himself took command of the French left wing, facing the Austrians, while Murat commanded the French right against the Russians and Prussians.

The coming battle would decide whether the Allies could unite their armies and continue their advance, or whether Napoleon could defeat them separately.

So with the hard work done by the AI I then decided on an order of battle and adapted the map for my 6' x 4' table as below:

Looking east along the French lines. Altenrode is left foreground with Falkendorf in the centre middle ground.
Looking in the same direction along the allied line. The Austrians in the foreground and the Russo-Prussians to their left in the distance.

I have deliberately kept the size of the armies quite small as we will have either 3 or 4 players so I don't want to overload any one player with too many units. A battle report will follow in due course.

Order of Battle
(the letters after each unit name show the troop classifications for Muskets & Marshals)

French Army – Left wing: Napoleon
1st Old Guard Grenadiers A+
4th Swiss B
8th Poles B
85th Ligne B
105th Ligne B
10th Legere A
Horse Grenadiers A+
1st Cuirassiers A
6th Chasseurs B
1 x Battery Guard FA
2 x Batteries Line FA

French Army – Right wing: Murat
Young Guard Voltigeurs A
25th Ligne B
33rd Ligne B
45th Ligne B
57th Ligne B
1st Legere A
Empress Dragoons A+
8th Cuirassiers A
5th Lancers B
1 x Battery Guard HA
2 x Batteries Line FA

Allied Army – Left wing: Barclay de Tolly
Odesa Regiment B
Moscow Regiment B
Smolensk Regiment B
6th Jagers B
Prussian Guard Grenadiers A
Pomeranian Musketeers B
West Prussian Fusiliers B
1st Silesian Landwehr C
Astrakhan Cuirassiers A
Pavlograd Hussars B
Silesian Hussars B
2 x Batteries Russian FA
1 x British RHA Rocket Battery

Allied Army – Right wing: Archduke Charles
4th Hoch-Und Deutschmeister B
15th Szeckler Grenzers A
23rd Archduke Ferdinand B
32nd Esterhazy B
36th Kinsky B
51st Gabriel Spleny B
Vienna Volunteers C
Austrian Grenadiers A
Ferdinana Cuirassiers A
Toskana Dragoons A
1st Uhlans B
1 x Battery HA
3 x Batteries FA

***Hut Update***

The Hinton Hut roof repair is finished...





16 comments:

  1. Table looks great and scenario set, look forward to seeing how the battle unfolds. Nice work on the roof. looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donnie, really looking forward to the game!

      Delete
  2. Nice work, the Hut roof looks like new!
    I see Napoleon has not yet raised any conscripts to replace his losses in Russia, but it’s left him outnumbered. It will be interesting to see which ally does best, probably not the Brits with their rocket battery.
    I also see that you’ve chosen to represent the hedgerows on the map with hills, score one for human intelligence …. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rob, as the French are outnumbered it seemed only fair to give them better quality troops.

      Delete
  3. Very interesting, it is unusual to have a game of 'divide the enemy' with all forces on the same table, it will be interesting to follow. A.I. has come a long way in just 12 months in terms of scenario design and presentation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, I’m finding many ways that AI is useful in the hobby. Hopefully this will keep it distracted from killing us all!

      Delete
  4. I'm warming to the concept of using Chat GPT for a game scenario....I've already dipped my toe in the water for a couple of future battles following your lead. I'm looking forward to seeing how this one develops. The make up of the allied forces looks great .....let's hope they can co-operate effectively!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simon, the AI is great for filling in details and scenario ideas but not so good with illustrations as they always have mistakes but it draws maps far quicker and better than I can!

      Delete
  5. All looks most excellent - the hut repair looks immaculate too - did you get AI to fix the roof?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tony, the AI was keen that I go up on the roof I think he was going to kick away the ladder but I pulled the plug on him first!

      Delete
  6. Ausgezeichnet! Can't wait to stop the Guard with the Vienna volunteers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If that is your definition of keeping the forces small, I'd love to see a large game! Holy Moly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, I guess by small I mean trying not to give any player more than 10 or so units but of course what I'd really like to do is get everything on the table!

      Delete
  8. Archduke - the Guard will have to get through the Silesian Landwehr, so you may not get to see them. In passing - since Barclay de Tolly was supposedly of Scots descent, we should have a quick resumé on the topic of what "tolly" means in Scots. Fake news.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great to see the roof is fixed and the troops (as always) look lovely.

    Please double check the morale ratings; as someone who (once) suffered WMGFTTBAD (Wrong Morale Grade For The Tos..Toska....Toskitoski..,for crying out loud they are blooming B grade Austrian Dragoons).

    Good job I am over it now. The night screams have stopped. Almost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt, I’m not sure anyone can ever get over something like that…

      Delete